Welcome to Cow Harbor CrossFit
Welcome to Cow Harbor CrossFit! CrossFit is a core strength & conditioning program that delivers a fitness that is by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Elements of track & field, gymnastics, weightlifting, and strongman are combined in short intense daily workouts to maximize results for any individual. CrossFit teaches functional movement patterns, or, movements that you find in real life -pushing, pulling, squatting, jumping, throwing, carrying, and sprinting.
This Sunday, July 13th we are proud to be co-hosting Burpees and Beer with our friends from Lululemon. This promises to be a great summertime event!
We will be running two workouts. One that starts at 4:30PM and another at 5:30PM. Feel free to jump in on both...
Once the sweat has stopped flying, the fun begins! We will be having a live DJ, catered food, and a couple kegs to help wash away the pain from the burpees.
This event is open to everybody and the workout can be scaled for ANY individual. So please bring your family and friends for a great afternoon of working out, BBQn' and beer!
Just remember, we will be closed during normal hours Sunday morning. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Cow Harbor CrossFit's 2014 Summer Nutrition Challenge is starting this coming Monday, July 7th. The challenge is going to be set up similar to our last challenge except that it will only be 30 days long! The rules are all basically the same, with a few minor changes. We will be handing out packets at the info session on July 6th.
Two things you don't want to miss if you plan to participate in the challenge-
- We will be having an informative session this Sunday, July 6th @ 2:00PM. At the session we will cover rules, answer questions, and take 'before pictures' (come in gym apparel if you are getting a picture taken). Do not worry if you cannot make it, we still encourage everyone to participate and we can catch you up next time you're in the gym!
- In order to participate, we require a before picture be taken by a member of the CHCF coaching staff before Friday, July11th at the latest.
A couple things that differ from this challenge and the past paleo/nutrition challenges that we've done:
- There will NOT be a 'buy-in' This challenge is zero, zip, nadda, no dollars to enter. However the winners (1st/2nd/3rd places) will still receive prizes! So why not at least try? There is nothing to lose.... but pounds.
- For those athletes looking to gain lean muscle mass and put some LBs on we will have you eating clean and Carb Back Loading. Don't be fooled by what you've heard. This is a very strict style of eating and not an easy thing to accomplish. Its takes work and dedication.
- Added clean carbs and minor cheats will be allowed at certain points during the 30 days to help keep your sanity over the summer months.
These 30 days WILL change the way you Look, Feel, and Perform, so we are excited to see all of the members participate!
We will be having a limited schedule this July 4th weekend. Please see below.
Friday, July 4th:
- 8AM, 9AM, and 10AM Group Classes.
- Closed the rest of the day. Get out and enjoy your independence day!
- Normal Hours
- 9AM Oly class will be replaced with a normal Group Class
Take a quick glance at some things that are happening in the near future:
Keep glancing cause we are adding more and more events....
Flex on the Beach is Back!
Saturday, September 13th our friends at CrossFit King of Island Park will be hosting a beachfront CrossFit competition, Flex On The Beach. This promises to be Long Islands most elite functional fitness event with 200 COED teams crashing on the beach to throw around weights, sprint in some sand, and support their fellow CrossFitters.
We would like to field as many teams (both RX and Scaled) for this as possible so we have an even bigger presence on the beach then we did last year. Please start getting your teams together ASAP. There will be a list of teams and 'open agents' on the black board in the gym. GET SIGNED UP ASAP!!! If you need help finding teammates let Chad or Adam know and they will help facilitate.
After this badass COED comp there will be a post-competition Bar Crawl for athletes, spectators, and anybody else who wants to wander around Long Beach with the fittest community on Earth.
In true Cow Harbor CrossFit style we plan to have quite the presence. So feel free to bring anything that would make a day at the beach more exciting. We will have a large pop-up tent to provide shade, a BBQ for some healthy food between events, coolers full of water and coconut water to hydrate athletes and spectators, and of course some kan-jam.
If you have any questions about the wods or the event itself please take a look at the website and their
PUMP Games 3...Strength Rules the world.
Saturday, September 13th will be the third installment of the Pump Games series. It is hosted at PUMP CrossFit & Performance in East Hanover, NJ.
If there is any question what this competition is like, just ask Wild Bill and Coach Adam who have performed the past two years. PG has a reputation as being one of the most challenging comps in the northeast and nation. It also has a great reputation for an excellently run weekend. From the DJ to the food and sponsors representing the PG series..it is all top quality. There is no question that PG3 will continue to have success.
Details to know:
1. September 13-14 (Saturday & Sunday) @ PUMP CrossFit & Performance
2. 5 guaranteed WODs for all competitors..finals for top athletes
3. Rx'd/Scaled (male/female) Master (age brackets)....we may separate unlike last year depending on # of athletes
4. ALL Levels are welcome...be aware of the major lifts and some gymnastics
5. Strength is always a true indicator used in the PG series...it does not mean you need to be super strong, but it means you need to have some focus on training heavy in your programming. It is not a typical Metcon only comp.
6. Implements and Odd Objects will be utilized and introduced.
7. We will announce WODs prior to the event.
Cow Harbor CrossFits 1st ever Wet N' Wild Pool Party and BBQ!
Tori and the rest of the Greco clan have been nice enough to offer up their back yard and pool so we can have a little fun this summer. Below are just a couple details to help you plan accordingly for this epic CHCF party.
- When: Saturday, July 12th
- Time: TBA
- Where: The Greco house. We will have the exact address on the gym so here address isn't floating around randomly in cyber space.
- What: A little pool party, drinks and food. We will be hiring a certified life guard and catering food from our favorite deli. As for drinks, BYOB.
There will be a signup sheet on the desk in the gym, please sign up so we can get a proper head count.
This is a community event, so please bring friends, family, and anybody else you'd like.
Burpees and Beer!
Want to give CrossFit a try but don't know how to start?
Take a look......
Whether you are a seasoned athlete, or someone who's just getting off the couch, we are here to help you. It is OUR goal to help you reach YOUR goals.
CrossFit is for EVERYONE, all our workouts are scalable to ANY individual. There are just a few steps you need to take to begin a life changing journey.
- Try a FREE Trial Class - Come on in and try a workout. We welcome anyone who would like to come in and try a free trial class, we encourage it! Come on over and meet the coaches, and even some members of the community. Get the feel of what a CrossFit class is like, and have any of your questions answered. You can register for a FREE trial class here: http://cowharborcrossfit.com/index.php/getting-started/try-a-class-for-free
- Attend Some Beginners Classes - We require all beginners to CrossFit to start in our beginners classes. In these classes, we teach you all the Foundational movements used in our group classes as well as gradually ease you into the intensity of our workouts. We will teach you the proper technique involved in our movements, helping you with a safe transition to our Group Classes. Beginners classes are offered every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 8:00PM. Can't make a beginners class? Feel free to contact us to set up a time you can come and learn.
- CrossFit Group Classes - In these classes our coaching staff guides you through the warm-up, strength, and conditioning portions of our daily workouts. Our coaches are capable of scaling the workouts for any level. "Routine is the enemy," and this is where we keep our workouts filled with high intensity, constantly varied, functional movements.
Now Hiring A CrossFit Coach!
- Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid drivers license
- Resume must note any prior criminal record, or lack of US Citizenship
- A valid CrossFit Level 1 Trainer Certificate is required
- Willingness to shadow Cow Harbor Coaches for one month to help develop familiarity with Cow Harbor CrossFit methodology
- Flexible hours throughout week to spend getting to know the CHCF community
- Excellent communication and member relation skills
- Ability to clearly verbalize and demonstrate the majority of CrossFit movements and range of motion (ROM) standards
- Basic knowledge of skill and movement modification options based on various physical limitations and common injuries
- Willingness to regularly participate in CHCF classes and special events
If you're a current member and start so see some new faces following our coaches around and learning the CHCF ways, please introduce yourself and get to know these new potential coaches.
Beach Season Nutrition Challenge
Monday, July 7th will kick off our 45 day summertime nutrition challenge.
- This challenge is being dubbed as a nutrition challenge, meaning it will NOT be a paleo challenge. You will have the option eat a number of different ways dependent on your goals. We will post more information about this as time draws closer.
We will be having an informative session with the trainers this Sunday, July 6th @ 1:00PM. At the session we will cover rules, answer questions, and help explain why we eat the way we do. Don't worry if you can't make it, we still encourage everyone to participate and we can catch you up next time you're in the gym!
These 45 days WILL change the way you Look, Feel, and Perform, so we are excited to see all of the members participate!